Dhanusa District, a part of Janakpur Zone, is one of the seventy-seven districts of Nepal. The district covers an area of 1,180km² and has a population (2001) of 671,364. It lies in the Province No. 2 of Nepal. Also famous as a cultural center, the city attracts many Hindu pilgrims during festivals from both Nepal and India.
PRC, Dhanusha conducts ex-situ and in-situ conservation and cultivation of medicinal plants. It works in the production of quality planting material by developing improved agro-techniques.
The objectives of this office are
- Research & Development in medicinal plants sector.
- Undertake/assist or encourage scientific, technological and economic research on medicinal plants.
- Development of protocols for cultivation and quality control.
- To disseminate the research results through journals or leaflets; and
Major activities carried out at Plant Research Centre, Dhanusha;
- Production and distribution of seedlings of MAPs species (Kurilo)
- Community-based MAPs cultivation (Kurilo)
- MAPs cultivation programme for minor farmers (Kurilo)
- One Village One Product (Kurilo)
- Traditional knowledge documentation (Musahar Community)
- Landscape and garden management
- Dhanushadham Botanical Garden
- Promotion of floriculture (Marigold)
- Demonstration plot management
- Domestication and germ-plasm conservation
- Educational MAPs garden establishment in Community-based Schools
- Training on Conservation, Promotion and Cultivation of MAPs
- Home Herbal Garden for women
- Awareness programme- radio program
- Information Center on MAPs